Saturday, June 12, 2010

Refilling Markers

I've been asked lately about Stampin' Up! markers drying out on the fine point end. I have to confess, most of mine don't work either, so I decided last night to try something that I had read about a long time ago -- refilling markers. And it worked!! Since so many of my markers are retiring anyway, I decided it wouldn't be a big deal if I tore one up trying, but the marker came out of the process just fine and now it works again.

Here's what you do:

Brush end -- using tweezers, gently pull from the base of the "brush" and the whole thing will come out very easily. There is a sort of wick on the other end that goes down into the barrel of the marker. Put a couple of drops of re-inker into the barrel and replace the tip firmly into the barrel.

Fine tip end -- do this end using the same concept, but I couldn't get my tweezers to work -- the tip was too slick. So I used my teeth! (I know, that may gross some of you out, but it worked. And it's okay Mom, I didn't hurt my teeth!) Anyway, a pair of small pliers would probably do the trick, too. Just put a couple of drops of re-inker into that end and replace the tip.

It will take a little while for the wick to absorb the ink and for the marker to write again, but be patient -- it should work! I also stored my markers fine tip down for a little while since that was the end I was having the most trouble with.

No comments: